History of Westbrook
Westbrook's Twickenham Park is named after Twickenham Farm a prominent landmark in the Richmond Hill countryside. Twickenham Farm was purchased by Captain Larratt Smith in 1836. Smith had emigrated to Canada from England in 1831 along with his wife Mary and their four children. Dr. Henry Scadding a prominent Toronto historian and author described Twickenham Farm as “the cosy English looking residences with a clustering of appurtenances, lawns, sheltering plantations, winding drives. The Smith's were prominent in upper society Toronto circles and hosted many visitors at Twickenham. Despite Twickenham's charms Mary Smith grew homesick for England and in 1844 she and Captain Smith returned home. However, their son Larratt Smith would remain in Toronto and lead an extremely distinguished life having served as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Toronto; as well as having served as a Director on numerous Canadian Corporations including: Consumers’ Gas Company, the Bank of Upper Canada:and the Grand Trunk Telegraph Co. just to name a few.Smith was also a life senator of the University of Toronto, and Bencher of the Upper Canada Law Society. He was also a noted philanthropist having donated 100 acres of his Toronto Summerhill estate to the City of Toronto.