History of Mississauga
First Nations People are known to have inhabited thriving villages on the banks of the Credit River for thousands of years prior to the arrival of the Europeans in the 1600s. In 1805, most of the Mississaugas land was acquired by the government of Upper Canada in what was referred to as “The First Purchase”.
The Mississaugas continued to live on a narrow strip of land abutting the Credit River until 1820, when most of their remaining lands were sold to the government in what was called, “The Second Purchase”. The Mississaugas kept a small parcel of land near the Credit River; however, in 1847, they relocated to a reserve in the Grand River Valley near Hagersville. The Mississauga Golf Club, founded in 1896, was built on the site of the former Mississaugas Village.
Saw and grist mills along the Credit River were the major impetus that led to the growth of Mississauga’s many small villages and towns including: Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Malton, Meadowvale, Port Credit and Streetsville.
In 1968, all of Mississauga’s settlements, except for Port Credit and Streetsville, amalgamated to form the Town of Mississauga. Port Credit and Streetsville would enter the fold in 1974,when Mississauga was incorporated as a city.
Nov 19, 2019 · AnnouncementsDigiMarCon World 2019 - Digital Marketing Conference
Nov 22, 2019 · FairsSeasons Christmas Show
Nov 23, 2019 · FamilyToronto Christmas Pet Show
Nov 23, 2019 · CommunityPeel Children's Centre's Evening of Hope Gala & Auction
Nov 29, 2019 · CommunityCanadian Immigrant Fair