History of Lorne Park
Lorne Park is named after Marquis de Lorne the Governor General of Canada from 1878-1883. Lorne Park began as a resort and recreation area popular with vacationers from the City of Toronto. This playground by the lake was situated where the Lorne Park Estates is now. By 1886 financial woes brought an end to the resort and Lorne Park was being subdivided and private cottages were being built.
By the end of the Second World War Lorne Park Estates was completely built out. The farming village on the north side of Lakeshore Road began to take shape shortly after the Second World War. The opening of the QEW expressway connecting Mississauga commuters to Toronto and Hamilton was the impetus for turning crops into houses and a rural outpost into an urban residential neighbourhood.