Homes in Armour Heights
The residential tone of Armour Heights was inspired by Strathrobyn the magnificent Tudor stone mansion set back from the street at the north-east corner of Yonge Boulevard and Wilson Avenue. Strathrobyn was built in 1914 for Colonel Frederick B. Robins. It is now owned and operated by the Canadian Armed Forces as a staff college.
Armour Heights' houses were built over time from the 1920's to the 1970's. These houses range in size from modest two-storey three bedroom homes to the impressive Tudor Manor houses situated on the spectacular ravine lots along Sandringham Drive.
The homes at the north end of Armour Heights, just south of Earl Bales Park, are located on the former site of the York Downs Golf Club, which operated in Armour Heights from the early 1920's until 1968. The houses in this area represent excellent examples of the Modernist architectural designs that were in vogue in North America during the 1960's and 1970's.