History of Islington Village
Islington Village emerged in the early 1800s with a cluster of stores, churches, a school and a post office centred along Dundas Street West. The focal point of this village was the Thomas Montgomery Inn. The Montgomery Inn was a popular meeting place for the local villagers as well as thirsty farmers with grain in tow on their way to mills along the Humber River. Montgomery Inn is still standing at 4709 Dundas Street West where it now serves as a local museum. It is one of the few buildings of the Old Village of Islington to survive the residential subdivision of this neighbourhood which took place shortly after the Second World war.
It is interesting to note that Islington was originally known as Mimico but that its name was changed in 1858 to avoid confusion with the postal station at Toronto's Mimico lakeshore neighbourhood. The Islington name was chosen by Elizabeth Smith whose husband Thomas was the proprietor of the local hotel. Elizabeth Smith chose the Islington name after her birthplace in England.
Ed Note. The Islington Burial Grounds on Dundas Street is one of the oldest cemeteries in Toronto. It was opened around 1807.
Jan 18, 2020 · ArtsA Taste of Winterfolk
Jan 18, 2020 · FamilyEducational Acting For Kids! After School & PA Days
Jan 26, 2020 · FamilyToronto Reptile Expo
Feb 7, 2020 · ArtsToronto Woodworking Show – February 7-9, 2020
Feb 7, 2020 · CommunityKiller B Cinema Presents: The She Beast