History of Humber Valley Village
The Humber Valley Village neighbourhood was developed as part of Home Smith and Company's "Humber Valley Surveys". The Humber Valley Surveys included 3,000 acres of prime real estate stretching along the Humber River from the Queensway north to Eglinton Avenue. This large land assembly included the building of the Humber Valley Village neighbourhood as well as the Kingsway, Baby Point, Old Mill and Princess Anne Gardens-Manor neighbourhoods. The St. George's Golf Club off Islington Avenue was also developed by Home Smith and Company.
The president of Home Smith and Company was Robert Home Smith, a graduate of law from the University of Toronto. Robert Home Smith was a multi-talented individual who served as Chairman of the Toronto Harbour Commission, helped to pioneer the development of Northern Ontario Mines, and was president of many North American railway companies.
The first homes in Humber Valley Village were built in the 1930's near James Gardens, along the Humber Valley. Unfortunately Robert Home Smith died in 1935, long before the Humber Valley Village neighbourhood was completed in the 1960's.