History of Aurora
Aurora’s history dates back to 1796, when it was a small crossroads community known as Machell’s Corners situated at the intersection of Yonge and Wellington Streets. This hamlet was named after merchant Richard Machell, who was one of Aurora’s first settlers. The town’s name was officially changed to Aurora in 1853, when the railway began service to this area ushering in the “dawn of a new age”. The railway brought great commerce and prosperity to Aurora which had earned village status by 1863, and then graduated to town status in 1888.
You can learn much more about the history of Aurora at the Aurora Museum. This museum is situated in the former Aurora Public School building located at 22 Church Street. This stately Victorian building is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Former Canadian Prime Minister, and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Lester B. Pearson attended school here.
Feb 3, 2018 · CommunityButterflies & Fireflies Brunch: Celebrating Life Beyond Cancer
Feb 10, 2018 · FamilySNOWSHOES AND SNOW-CLUES
Feb 17, 2018 · FamilyHamilton Kids-Fest 2018
Feb 23, 2018 · EntertainmentHamilton Woodworking Show
Feb 28, 2018 ·York Region LEAF Volunteer Orientation