History of Brampton
Brampton’s history dates all the way back to the early 1800s when it was a rural outpost known simply as Buffy’s Corners. This name was derived from a popular tavern of the same name that was situated at Queen and Main Street where Brampton’s City Hall is now located. John Elliot, and William Lawson, were the first pioneers to settle in this community. They would eventually subdivide their landholdings into smaller lots, creating a community they named Brampton, after their hometown in northern England.
Most of Brampton’s first settlers were employed at the local ashery, copper shop, and distillery. By 1852, Brampton had enough settlers to incorporate as a village. The Grand Trunk Railway began steaming its way through the village in 1858, putting Brampton on the map, and creating further growth. Brampton’s stature grew even more in 1867, when it was chosen as the home for the Peel County Courthouse Jail and Registry office. These stately buildings are now part of the Peel Heritage Complex, located in downtown Brampton, at 9 Wellington Street East.
In 1974, the City of Brampton was formed from an amalgamation of the former Town of Brampton, and the Towns of Toronto Gore and Chinguacousy Township, as well as parts of neighbouring Mississauga. Brampton has been the home of the highly respected, and well-liked politician, William Davis, who served as Premier of Ontario from 1971-1985.
The Peel heritage Complex in Brampton