History of Milton
Milton’s first settler’s were Jasper and Sarah Martin who immigrated to Canada, with their children in tow, from England in 1821. The Martin’s established a grist mill at 16 Mile Creek, that became the focal point of this farming community. For a time this settlement was known as “Martin’s Mill”. The name was changed to Milton – derived from mill town – when the local post office was opened in 1836. Martin’s grist mill was situated in what is now Centennial Park, overlooking the mill pond. The Millennium Gazebo situated in Centennial Park, provides a connection from Milton’s past to its future.
In 1853, Milton was chosen to be the seat of government for the newly formed County of Halton. The former “County Buildings” situated in downtown Milton’s Victoria Square, were recently restored and today proudly serve as Milton’s New Town Hall. The Old Milton Town Hall, built in 1857, is located at 251 Main Street, where it is now an integral part of ‘Carriage Square’, a shopping destination in downtown Milton.
Ed Note: Milton’s most famous son is Colonel Chris Hadfield who in 2001 became the first Canadian astronaut to walk in space.
Feb 3, 2018 · EntertainmentFujahtive & The Sattalites Reggae Night at the Horseshoe
Feb 3, 2018 · CommunityButterflies & Fireflies Brunch: Celebrating Life Beyond Cancer
Feb 17, 2018 · FamilyHamilton Kids-Fest 2018
Feb 23, 2018 · EntertainmentHamilton Woodworking Show
Mar 22, 2018 · CommunityToronto Career Fair