History of Clarington
In 1792, The Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, John Graves Simcoe, established the Townships of Clarke and Darlington. These two townships would later amalgamate and become the municipality of Clarington. Within these former townships many rural hamlets and small villages would be formed, including the likes of: Bowmanville, Courtice, Newcastle and Orono.
The Town of Bowmanville was the home of the Dominion Organ and Piano Company whose products were shipped around the world. In 1910, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company established headquarters in Bowmanville. To this day, they remain an important part of the local economy. The Village of Courtice, was a popular stop-over for the many travellers along historic Highway 2, from Kingston to Toronto. The Village of Newcastle, situated on the shores of Lake Ontario, had a bustling harbour. It was also a busy industrial centre that included among others: the Massey Agricultural equipment shops, a woolen manufacturing company, and a patent medicine firm.
In 1974, when the province of Ontario restructured local government, the Town of Bowmanville along with the Village of Newcastle, amalgamated with the greater Clarke and Darlington Townships to form the present day municipality of Clarington. The name Clarington is a blending of the name of the former Townships of Clarke and Darlington.