History of Weston
Weston's history dates back to the 1790's when it was a tiny hamlet known simply as "The Humber". Weston's first settlers were mill owners who were attracted to this area by its rich timber resources and the water-power potential of the Humber River.
The Weston name is attributed to the Wadsworth brothers who came to this area in 1828 and purchased a local flour mill and general store. They renamed this community Weston after their ancestral home in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England.
Weston's early development took place on both sides of the Humber River. However in 1850 a disastrous flood destroyed the west bank settlement. Weston's fortunes would take a turn for the better when first the Grand Trunk Railway (1856) and then the Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway (1869) began service to this area. The railway and associated industry brought great prosperity to Weston.
Weston was first incorporated as a village in 1881 and then as a town in 1915. Weston remained an independent town until 1967 when it amalgamated with the former Borough of York, which is 1998 amalgamated with the City of Toronto.
Sep 22, 2019 · FamilyPirate Life 2019
Sep 24, 2019 · FamilyEducational Acting For Kids! After School & PA Days
Sep 30, 2019 · CommunityTree Tenders Volunteer Training
Oct 11, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Oct 30, 2019 · EntertainmentWhere Dark Things Dwell: Season 3