History of High Park
The High Park neighbourhood contains a wealth of history. The area north of Bloor Street was formerly part of the Town of West Toronto Junction, which was annexed by the City of Toronto in 1909. The historical house at 191 High Park Avenue was built in 1888 for D.W. Clendenan, the first mayor of West Toronto Junction.
The High Park property south of Bloor Street, was purchased in 1836 by John Howard Toronto's first surveyor. Howard named his estate High Park because of its high elevation and magnificent view of Lake Ontario. In 1873 Howard deeded his beloved High Park estate to the City of Toronto. John Howard's former residence Colborne Lodge is still situated on its original site in High Park, where it is now a public museum.