History of Bedford Park
Bedford Park began as a farming hamlet centred around the crossroads of Yonge Street and Lawrence Avenue. This village was a popular stopover for farmers travelling to and from the markets in Toronto. It is likely that Bedford Park is named after the Bedford Park Hotel which opened in 1873 at the south west corner of Yonge Street and Fairlawn Avenue.
In 1890 the Metropolitan Street Railway expanded its streetcar line northward to service Bedford Park. That same year Bedford Park, no longer a remote outpost, would amalgamate with the Town of North Toronto which would ultimately be annexed by the City of Toronto in 1912. A period of rampant land speculation was then followed by registered plans of subdivision that would create the current residential neighbourhood. Bedford Park's original housing stock was built mostly in the 1920s, 30s and 40s.
Ed Note: The former Bedford Park General Store and Post Office building is still standing at the south-west corner of Yonge Street and Bedford Park Avenue.
Sep 30, 2016 ·31st Annual Woodstock Woodworking Show 2016
Feb 26, 2017 · ArtsHamilton Woodworking Show – February 24 – 26, 2017