History of Allenby
Allenby was first settled in the 1400's by the Huron Tribe which had a village here until sometime in the early 1700's.
This village is described in Lyman B. Jackes Tales of North Toronto as "a well organized and extensive community that had its centre in an artesian spring of pure water. The spring flowed where the modern water tower rears its head on Roselawn Avenue, just to the west of Avenue Road. The great tribal huts were on the site of the present day Allenby Public School."
Jackes goes on to say that the Allenby school hill is not natural but was man-made, the result of the Huron's practice of burrowing food stocks underground.
The present day neighbourhood was developed when Allenby Public School opened in 1927. The school was named after Lord Allenby, a British World War One hero.
Ed. Note - The water tower Jackes refers to on Roselawn Avenue, is now a police communications tower.
Jun 23, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSaturday Farmers Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Jun 23, 2018 · CommunityCommunity Environment Days - Schedule
Jun 24, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSunday Artisan Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Jul 9, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at 777 Bay Street
Jul 25, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at Mackenzie House