History of Woburn
Woburn was originally named "Elderslie." This name was changed in 1856, when a post office was opened in the Woburn Inn. The proprietor of the Woburn Inn was Thomas Dowswell, who hailed from a small town in England named Woburn.
The Woburn Inn was historically significant in that it was the original meeting place for the Scarborough Municipal Council. The former Township of Scarborough continued to conduct their meetings at the Woburn Inn until 1921, when council chambers were moved to Kingston Road.
When the urbanization of this neighbourhood took place in the 1950's, the historic Woburn Inn was demolished to make room for the Painted Post Plaza. A large stone marker with a historical plaque stands adjacent to the shopping plaza in tribute to the Woburn Inn.