History of Scarborough Junction
Scarborough Junction received its name in 1873, when a post office using this name was opened in the Bell General Store which stood on the south-west corner of Kennedy Road and St. Clair Avenue. The Junction part of this name referred to the two railways - the Grand Trunk and the Toronto-Nippising - which crossed paths at the south end of this neighbourhood.
In 1896, Scarborough Junction was the most heavily populated village in the former Township of Scarborough. It had its own school, general store, and the Bethel Methodist Church. The historic Bethel Church Cemetery is quietly tucked away off Kennedy Road, south of Eglinton Avenue.
The urbanization of Scarborough Junction took place in the late 1940's and the 1950's when farm fields were replaced with rows of war veterans' housing and cosy little bungalows. These houses sold very quickly to young families that were looking for affordable houses in what was then the outskirts of Toronto.
May 28, 2019 · CommunityWychwood Barns Park Tree Tour and Stewardship Event
May 28, 2019 · CommunityLearning to Unlearn: Self-Management for Personal and Professional Success
Jun 1, 2019 · ArtsClassical Context: Prehistoric Ligeti Concert
Jun 7, 2019 · EntertainmentWhere Dark Things Dwell: Season 3
Jun 14, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz