History of Oakridge
The history of the Oakridge neighbourhood is centred around the Oakridge Public School, which was built in 1913 on Danforth Road where Oakridge Park is now situated. This school was demolished in 1967, and replaced by a modern school on Byng Road. A datestone memorial to the old Oakridge school stands at the Danforth Road entranceway to Oakridge Park.
Oakridge's development was largely influenced by Danforth Road, one of Toronto's oldest thoroughfares. Danforth Road had its own bus service as early as 1918, which helped to attract many homeowners to this area. Oakridge's growth was further enhanced in the 1950's, when the Bloor-Danforth subway line was extended east to Warden Avenue.