History of L'Amoureaux
L'Amoreaux's first settler was Josue L'Amoreaux, a loyalist of French Huguenot descent who arrived here with his wife, seven children and two nephews, around 1816. The spiritual centres of this pioneer community were St. Paul's Church L'Amoreaux and Christie's Methodist Church, which were both established in the 1840's. While these churches are no longer standing, their cemeteries have endured. St. Paul's L'Amoreaux cemetery is tucked away at the south-west corner of Finch and Warden Avenues, while Christie's Methodist Church cemetery is now part of a small park at the entranceway to the Bridlewood Mall.
In 1847, L'Amoreaux was given the designation as School Section #1, in the former Township of Scarborough. A few years later, in 1854, a post office was established here. L'Amoreaux's transition from a farming hamlet to a modern day subdivision took place in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. The "Devonsleigh" house built in 1850 is a visual reminder of L'Amoreaux's past. This historic home is located at 4125 Steeles Avenue East where it is now a popular restaurant.
Apr 29, 2017 · SportsTRAIN LIKE A SOCCER PROFESSIONAL!
Apr 29, 2017 · SportsSmilezone 24 Hour Hockey Tournament
May 5, 2017 · CommunityRevolution - A Rob Stewart Film
May 10, 2017 · FoodThe Great New Zealand Wine Tiki Tour Toronto
May 10, 2017 · EntertainmentTake the ROMBus for fun and discovery