History of Highland Creek
In the 1850's, Highland Creek was the largest residential and business centre in the former Township of Scarborough. Richard Schofield, in Scarborough Then and Now explains that "The combination of the Kingston Road, the Old Danforth Road and the Highland Creek coming together in one location encouraged the village's rapid growth in the early 19th century."
Highland Creek was officially recognized as a community in 1852, when it was granted its own post office. Highland Creek also had its own school, Presbyterian, Catholic, and Methodist churches, and a number of general stores, blacksmith shops and hotels that catered to the travellers along Kingston Road. Highland Creek remained a rural farming community right up until the 1950's, when the present day neighbourhood was developed.
Highland Creek's historical landmarks include the "W.J. Morrish General Store," circa 1891, situated on Old Kingston Road, the third Highland Creek Public School, circa 1918, located on Military Trail, and the "Miller Lash/McLean Estate," circa 1914, which is situated on the University of Toronto's Scarborough College campus.
Jun 27, 2019 · FamilyPirate Life 2019
Jul 1, 2019 · FoodCelebrate Mandarin’s 40th Anniversary & Canada’s Birthday with a Free Buffet!
Jul 11, 2019 · FestivalsToronto Summer Music Festival
Jul 12, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Oct 30, 2019 · EntertainmentWhere Dark Things Dwell: Season 3