History of Dorset Park
Dorset Park was originally part of the Village of Ellesmere, a small farming hamlet that was centred around the intersection of Kennedy and Ellesmere Roads, during the 1800's. Ellesmere was named after the Village of Ellesmere in England.
In the early 1900's, the focal point of this community was the Ellesmere Arena. This venue served as the home of the Maple Leaf Curling Club and the Ellesmere Maple Leaf Band, the latter of which performed at church garden parties, fall fairs and other public functions. Ellesmere was particularly well known for its sports clubs including the Maple Leaf Football Team that won the Ontario Championships in 1890.
In the early 1950's, Ellesmere's market gardens and dairy farms gave way to the present day Dorset Park subdivision. Like Ellesmere, the Dorset Park neighbourhood is also named after a small village in England.