History of Willowdale
Willowdale was originally settled by Jacob Cummer, who immigrated to Canada from the United States in 1797. Cummer was a mill owner on the nearby Don River, a proprietor of a tinsmith shop on Yonge Street and a self trained doctor and veterinarian. Cummer was held in such high esteem by his neighbours that this area was originally known as Kummer's Settlement.
David Gibson, a distinguished land surveyor, was another leader in this community. Like most of his neighbours, Gibson participated in the ill-fated Toronto Rebellion of 1837. He was thus charged with high treason and escaped to the United States were he found employment as the First Assistant Engineer on the building of the Erie Canal.
Gibson returned to his Yonge Street farm in 1851, after being pardoned for his role in the Rebellion. He then helped to establish the "Willow Dale" post office, named after the many willow trees that once graced this district. Members of the Gibson family were still living in Gibson House in the 1920's when the residential subdivision of Willowdale began to take place.
Editors Note: The Gibson House, circa 1851, is still standing in its original location at 5172 Yonge Street and is now a historic museum.
Sep 21, 2019 · FoodBurger Fest at Oliver & Bonacini Café Grill, Bayview Village
Sep 21, 2019 · FamilyPirate Life 2019
Sep 30, 2019 · CommunityTree Tenders Volunteer Training
Oct 11, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Oct 30, 2019 · EntertainmentWhere Dark Things Dwell: Season 3