History of Glen Park
One of Glen Park's first settlers was Sir Sanford Fleming - the father of standard time and the chief engineer of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway. Fleming's property was located just south of Lawrence Avenue between Dufferin and Keele Streets. In 1856, Fleming subdivided his farm into the Balmoral subdivision, which was the first planned subdivision in North York. Unfortunately, Fleming was ahead of his time - pardon the pun - and Balmoral never got past the marketing stage.
Fleming's son Colonel Fred Fleming took over the family farm in 1881 and began importing and breeding Hereford cattle. Under the young Fleming's guidance "Park Farm" rose to prominence as one of the finest stock breeding farms in Canada.
Glen Park's transition from farmland to residential neighbourhood began in the 1920's. Its largest period of growth occurred after the second world war, when many returning war veterans and their families settled in Glen Park. This increased population led to the building of the Glen Park Public School in 1948.
Nov 17, 2018 · ArtsInvisible Wings - Call for Submission
Nov 17, 2018 · CommunityFAMILY CHRISTMAS WEEKENDS
Nov 17, 2018 · CommunityIlluminite
Nov 18, 2018 · CommunityUniversity of King's College Lecture Tour
Nov 23, 2018 · Special OffersGoose Island: Limited Bourbon County Original Brand Stout bottle release in Toronto