History of Flemingdon Park
The Flemingdon Park neighbourhood is built on the former farm of R.J. Fleming after whom this neighbourhood is named. "Don" makes reference to the Don River which forms the eastern boundary of Flemingdon Park.
Flemingdon Park was first proposed to North York (now Toronto) City Councillors in 1958. It was touted as Canada's first completely planned "apartment city", and was based on similar developments already built in Europe and Scandinavia.
The initial response to Flemingdon Park was one of apprehension and concern. North York residents and politicians alike were concerned about the high density of the development. There were also questions about how city services would be provided and who would pay for them. Five North York councillors went so far as to fly to "apartment city" projects in England, Sweeden, and Copenhagen in order to view first hand this novel approach to neighbourhood building.
In 1959, after much debate the Flemingdon Park development was approved by city council. There were some obstacles along the way but Flemingdon Park was finally completed in the early 1970's.
May 27, 2019 · CommunityMosaic’s Community Café in Toronto
May 29, 2019 · CommunityMosaic’s Knitting & Crochet Group in Markham
Jun 14, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Jun 17, 2019 ·Mosaic’s Community Café
Jun 21, 2019 · CommunityMosaic’s Spring & Summer Pole Walking Club in Markham