History of Bathurst Manor/Clanton Park
This quiet residential area began as a farming hamlet in the early 1800's. Originally the area was known as Dublin Hewights, after Dublin Farm which was located near Sheppard Avenue and Dufferin Street. Dublin Farm was owned by William Duncan, who emigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1827 and paid $3.50 an acre for his 200 acre farm.
William Duncan had a significant impact on the growth of Dublin Heights. He personally oversaw the building of Dublin Heights first school and hired the first schoolmaster. Duncan also served as a highly respected Justice of the Peace for York Township.
The Watson family, also from Ireland, opened the first general store and post office in Dublin Heights in 1854. This post office was originally called "Carronbrook," however that name was changed in 1878 to "Dublin" in recognition of William Duncan and his landmark "Dublin" farm.
The Dublin post office was closed in 1955 when the present day neighbourhood was being developed. The only tangible reminder of the history of Dublin Heights is the cornerstone from the circa 1872 Dublin Schoolhouse. This cornerstone is mounted on the main entrance wall of the present day Dublin Heights School, located on Bainbridge Avenue.
Oct 23, 2018 · CommunityGET LIT !
Oct 23, 2018 · CommunityIs Uber Helping or Hurting Public Transportation?
Oct 24, 2018 · CommunityGrowing Up With Gouda
Oct 25, 2018 · CommunityNutrition in Our Golden Years: A healthy eating guide for optimal health
Oct 27, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSaturday Farmers Market at Evergreen Brick Works