History of Yorkville
Yorkville was subdivided in the 1830's, by a prominent brewer named Joseph Bloor, and by Sheriff William Botsford Jarvis who also founded the Rosedale neighbourhood.
Yorkville was named after the Town of York, the forerunner to the City of Toronto. Yorkville was incorporated as a Village in 1853. The initials and trades of Yorkville's first council members are displayed on the Village coat of arms which is now on the tower of the historic Yorkville Fire Hall, located at 34 Yorkville Avenue.
In 1883, Yorkville had the distinction of being the first village annexed by the City of Toronto. Despite being part of a big city, Yorkville has always maintained its own identity. It had gained notoriety first as a hippie haven in the 1960's, and then became known as a shopping mecca in the 1980's and 1990's.
Jan 19, 2019 · CommunityModern Bride Wedding Show
Jan 25, 2019 · FoodWinterlicious returns to Café Boulud
Jan 31, 2019 · AnnouncementsCashflow Cookbook: How To Free Up Cash and Build Wealth
Feb 8, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Feb 9, 2019 · FestivalsBloor-Yorkville Icefest