History of Wychwood Park
Wychwood Park was founded by Marmaduke Matthews, a landscape painter who purchased land here in the 1870's with the hope of establishing an artist colony at Wychwood Park. Matthews named Wychwood Park after Wychwood Forest, located near his childhood home in Oxfordshire, England.
In 1874, Matthews built the first house in the community, at number six Wychwood Park. The second Wychwood Park house, at number twenty two Wychwood Park, was built in 1877, by Matthews' friend Alexander Jardine.
Matthews and Jardine jointly bought the land that abutted their estates and in 1891, registered a plan of subdivision for what is now the Wychwood Park neighbourhood.
Wychwood Park is historically significant for the architecture of its homes, and for being one of Toronto's earliest planned communities. The Wychwood Park neighbourhood was designated as an Ontario Heritage Conservation district in 1985.
May 25, 2013 · EntertainmentOld Toronto Beer Tours
May 25, 2013 · Communityjane's walk: Historical Walking Tour of Yorkville (Part 2): The Parks of Yorkville
May 26, 2013 · SportsToronto Maple Leafs Baseball on Dominico Field at Christie Pits Park
May 26, 2013 · FamilyTHIS SUNDAY - Nature and Heritage Hikes with Toronto Brick Works
Jun 1, 2013 · SportsCIMA Mayor's School Cricket Tournament