Recreation in Rosedale
Rosedale is traversed by a network of ancient ravines, including the Vale of Avoca, Moore Park, Park Drive and Rosedale Valley ravines. The beautiful trails in these ravines are enjoyed by nature, and fitness enthusiasts alike. Access points to Rosedale's ravine trails are located at designated spots throughout the neighbourhood.
Rosedale Park, located off Schofield Avenue, has eight tennis courts, a sports field, an artificial ice rink, and a wading pool. Ramsden Park, off Yonge Street, features four tennis courts, an artificial ice rink, and a wading pool.
Mooredale House, at 146 Crescent Road, is a community centre run by the Rosedale and Moore Park resident associations. There is a small annual fee to join Mooredale, which offers sports, fitness, arts, and music programs for adults and children.
Rosedale Heritage Conservation Districts Provide a Lasting Legacy
At present, the City of Toronto has 15 heritage conservation districts, including both South Rosedale and North Rosedale in Midtown. The path to designation as a heritage conservation district begins with a background study into the historical, architectural and character-defining features that make an area special. Following a general review if the study area merits designation comes approval by the Toronto Preservation Board. City Council then passes a by-law that establishes the heritage conservation district.
South Rosedale’s designation as a heritage conservation district was spearheaded by the South Rosedale Ratepayers’ Association (which was formed in 1931 and is the oldest such association in Toronto). The ratepayers’ association was naturally concerned that the neighbourhood’s Garden Suburb characteristics and grand old houses would be preserved. Thanks to the group’s efforts South Rosedale was granted heritage conservation district status in 2003.
In 1824, Sheriff William Botsford Jarvis purchased a 110-acre estate in what is now South Rosedale. Mary Jarvis was said to be impressed by the profusion of roses that dotted the hillsides around her estate, which led to the name Rosedale. Mary Jarvis’s daily horserides through Rosedale blazed the way for some of the present-day Rosedale streets.
North Rosedale followed the lead of South Rosedale, receiving its heritage conservation district designation in 2005. It also has a storied history, beginning in 1881 when the Glen Road bridge was constructed. Scottish Highland shareholders were quick to register a plan of subdivision named RosedalePark in 1884, which named many of the streets after principles in the development and prominent Onatrio citizens.
Saint AndrewsCollege, a prominent boys private school now located in Aurora, called North Rosedale home from 1905 to 1927. Rosedale Golf Club also originated in North Rosedale before moving to its present location in TeddingtonPark. The former Toronto Lacrosse Grounds now known as RosedalePark were the venue for the inaugral Grey Cup football game in 1909.
North Rosedale’s development was sporadic. The neighbourhood was largely built by the late 1920s and early 1930s. North Rosedale’s Frederick Law Olmstead-inspired Garden Suburb street pattern, ravine topography, grand old homes, and classical architecture made it an easy choice for heritage conservation district status.
To explore Rosedale on foot, consider a Heritage Toronto walking tour. For more details visit www.heritagetoronto.org.
Jan 18, 2019 · ArtsMetamorphosis: From raw to refined
Jan 18, 2019 · SportsFree Public Skating at Evergreen Brick Works
Jan 19, 2019 · CommunityModern Bride Wedding Show
Jan 31, 2019 · AnnouncementsCashflow Cookbook: How To Free Up Cash and Build Wealth
Feb 8, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz