History of Thorncrest Village
Thorncrest Village is named after the former summer home of Sir William Pearce Howland, one of Ontario's first Lieutenant Governors. Thorncrest house, built in 1854 is still standing today, set back from the street at 36 Rathburn Road.
The Thorncrest estate was purchased in 1944 by developer Marshall Foss, who built the Thorncrest Village neighbourhood. Thorncrest Village was modelled after the renowned Kansas City Country Club subdivision in the United States.
Thorncrest Village is credited with being Toronto's first modern suburb. It introduced the idea of a strong homeowners association, neighbourhood zoning and building restrictions, curvilinear street patterns and culs-de-sac, as well as an emphasis on the preservation of trees.
Thorncrest Village was designed by Dr. Eugene Faludi, an internationally renowned architect and town planner. Faludi received high praise for his work on Thorncrest Village and was subsequently hired to design many other Toronto neighbourhoods including Humber Valley Village, Bayview Village and Lawrence Manor.
Mar 23, 2019 · ArtsAcoustic Harvest Presents Grit Laskin
Mar 29, 2019 · EntertainmentEtobicoke Community Concert Band - "Dance Like No One's Watching"
Mar 31, 2019 · CommunityToronto Reptile Expo
Apr 1, 2019 · FoodTacos: The Hidden Principle of Kabbalah
Apr 12, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz