History of Rexdale
Rexdale was still farmland in the 1950's when developer Rex Heslop began the land assembly that led to the building of this neighbourhood. Heslop predicted that the completion of Highway 401 and the creation of jobs at the nearby Toronto International Airport would bring a strong demand for houses in Rexdale. Heslop's prediction proved to be correct as the Rexdale subdivision was sold out in a relatively short period of time between the mid 1950's and the early 1960's.
The former Township of Etobicoke granted certain concessions to Heslop on the condition that he also develop the farmland around what is now Rexdale Boulevard. Etobicoke wanted this land changed from rural to industrial use to help ease the rising residential tax rate in the Township. Heslop was more than willing to accommodate Etobicoke's demands, realizing that more industry meant more jobs and therefore more buyers for his Rexdale homes. Upon its completion the Rexdale industrial area would become one of the city's largest industrial corridors.