History of New Toronto
New Toronto's history dates back to the 1890's when it was planned as a working town. This plan became a reality in 1906 when the Grand Trunk Railway opened repair shops, a roundhouse and a freight yard in New Toronto. The railway attracted industry to New Toronto. The areas largest employer was the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company which established a plant here in 1917.
New Toronto's rapid growth led to its incorporation as a Town in 1920. Frank Longstaff, in Villages of Etobicoke, recalls that during this period of prosperity, New Toronto touted itself as having the "highest value of manufacturing per square mile in North America." Thanks to this strong industrial base New Toronto was able to maintain one of the lowest residential tax rates in the Toronto area throughout much of its history.
In 1967, New Toronto was amalgamated with the former Township of Etobicoke, however it never lost its sense of identity as a working class town. Now, in the 1990's, the local industry is gradually being replaced with new home developments which are attracting more professional people to this neighbourhood.