History of Mimico
Mimico was originally known by the First Nations People as "Omimeca," meaning "the resting place of the wild pigeons." The Passenger Pigeon is now an extinct species whose memory lives on in the name of this community.
The present day Mimico neighbourhood began to be developed in the 1890's south of Lake Shore Boulevard, where many of Toronto's wealthiest families built their summer homes. Some of these estates are still intact however most were lost to development after World War II.
Mimico began to emerge as a year-round community in 1906, when the Grand Trunk Railway opened the Mimico Yard. This led to a building boom as houses were needed to accommodate the influx of workers who found employment at the Mimico Yard.
Mimico's meteoric growth led to its incorporation as a Town in 1917. Mimico retained its Town status until 1967, when it was amalgamated with the Township of Etobicoke which is now part of the City of Toronto.