History of Markland Wood
The land on which the Markland Wood neighbourhood is built was originally granted to John Silverthorn in 1810. Silverthorn was an experienced millright and immediately built a saw mill and a grist mill on the banks of the Etobicoke River skirting his property.
The Silverthorn Mills were the focal point of this community as local farmers brought their grain to the grist mill to be ground into flour and their logs to the saw mill to be cut into lumber. The present day "Mill Road" was a shortcut used by the farmers on their way to the mills.
The Silverthorn Mills operated until 1870 when the water flow in the Etobicoke River decreased to the point where it could no longer power the mills. The Silverthorn family then turned their attention to farming. They proved to be as adept at farming as they were at milling, and even sold tomatoes from their farm to the nearby Campbell Soup Company.
The Silverthorn family saw the city at their doorstep when they decided to sell their farm to developer Mark Cavotti in 1958. Cavotti's associates honoured him by naming this development Markland Wood. Thus a neighbourhood was born.
Mar 23, 2019 · ArtsAcoustic Harvest Presents Grit Laskin
Mar 29, 2019 · EntertainmentEtobicoke Community Concert Band - "Dance Like No One's Watching"
Mar 31, 2019 · CommunityToronto Reptile Expo
Apr 1, 2019 · FoodTacos: The Hidden Principle of Kabbalah
Apr 12, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz