History of RiverdaleRiverdale was a small rural community until the Grand Trunk Railway began steaming through here in the 1850's. The railway brought industry and employment opportunities to Riverdale. It also attracted a pool of labourers who built the first homes in Riverdale, south of the railway tracks.
North of Queen Street Riverdale remained largely undeveloped until 1884 when it was annexed by the City of Toronto. At that time Riverdale was called Riverside. The name was probably changed to Riverdale as a reference to the city park of the same name, that has long been a landmark in this area.
Riverdale's development was accelerated in 1918 with the building of Toronto's largest bridge, the Prince Edward Viaduct. The Viaduct provided Riverdale with an important link to the City of Toronto, west of the Don River, and marked a coming of age for this popular Toronto neighbourhood.
Aug 22, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at Mackenzie House
Aug 24, 2018 · SportsTOMMY THOMPSON PARK URBAN WILDERNESS SUNSET KAYAKING TOUR
Aug 25, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSaturday Farmers Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Aug 26, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSunday Artisan Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Aug 27, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at 777 Bay Street