History of Danforth Village
Danforth Village, north of the Danforth, was land originally held by the Church of England. Local street names like Glebemount, and Glebeholme, are reminders that this was once Church land.
The land south of the Danforth was not held by the Church. This land was originally owned by families engaged in either farming or in the brick making business.
Danforth Avenue, this neighbourhood's main thoroughfare, is named after Asa Danforth, an American contractor who built Kingston road in 1799 but ironically he had nothing to do with the building of Danforth Avenue.
After being annexed to the City of Toronto in 1908 Danforth Village began to be subdivided. The two most significant events in the growth of this neighbourhood were the completion of the Prince Edward Viaduct in 1918, and the opening of the Bloor - Danforth subway in 1966.