History of Downtown West
Downtown West was originally part of the vast military garrison
lands that were established to protect the Town of York – the
forerunner to Toronto – against attack from the United States. Following the war of 1812 peaceful relations were established with our neighbour to the south and the garrison lands were sold to the railway, which became a vital cog in the booming industry then taking place along Toronto’s harbourfront.
By the 1960s much of Toronto’s port-based industry had moved north of the city, thus rail service dwindled to a trickle. The railway lands — a site bound by the Rogers Centre to the east, Bathurst Street to the west, Front Street to the north, and Lakeshore Boulevard to the south — then lay dormant and derelict for over 30 years while the City of Toronto debated what to do with them. In 1998 city council finally approved the sale of the railway
lands, which are currently being redeveloped into a $2 billion condominium development known as CityPlace.
Another re-birth in the Downtown West is the King/Spadina/Bathurst district, which was at the heart of Canada’s garment industry until the early 1990s. Now many of these shop worn buildings are finding new life as trendy loft condominium projects and funky office space for the media services, high-tech communications and graphic industries.
Mar 20, 2019 · ArtsPRECIOUS: An exhibition of contemporary Canadian art and jewellery
Mar 23, 2019 · ArtsMindfulness and Storytelling through Art
Mar 23, 2019 · Entertainment2019 Canadian Screen Arts Festival
Apr 12, 2019 · FamilyFriday Night Jazz
Jan 1, 2020 · FoodPassion is Cooking Launches International Dinner Club!