History of Bickford Park
The Bickford Park neighbourhood is named after Colonel E. Oscar Bickford, a former Toronto businessman and politician.
Bickford, a wealthy landowner, owned what is now the Bickford Ravine Park. His widow Emily A. Bickford sold this property to the City of Toronto in 1908, for $44,250.
In 1913, the Elizabethan Recreation Centre was built at the north end of Bickford Park. This playground was named after the "Lizzies", a collection of local sports teams that achieved nationwide fame at all levels of amateur sport, particularly in baseball and basketball. The Centre's name was changed in 1990 to The Bob Abate Community Recreation Centre in honour of the "Lizzies" popular long-time coach.
Almost ninety years after it's inception, the Bickford Park playground still represents a field of dreams for this quiet west end neighbourhood.
Jul 22, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSunday Artisan Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Jul 23, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at 777 Bay Street
Jul 28, 2018 · CommunityCommunity Environment Days - Schedule
Jul 28, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSaturday Farmers Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Aug 12, 2018 · CommunityThe Leslieville Flea is back outdoors for summer at Ashbridge Estate in the heart of Leslieville!