History of Alexandra Park
Alexandra Park's history revolves around Sir Casimir Gzowski, a Polish engineer who immigrated to Toronto in 1841. Gzowski's distinguished career included the building of the Grand Trunk Railway from Toronto to Sarnia.
The Gzowski residence stood at the south-east corner of Bathurst and Dundas Streets. This former Toronto landmark was known simply as "The Hall". In 1904, the City of Toronto purchased "The Hall" and its environs for use as a public park. This park was named Alexandra Park after Queen Alexandra.
The Alexandra Park neighbourhood has been the first home for many new Canadians. In the 1920's and 30's large numbers of Polish and Ukrainian immigrants settled here. They were soon followed by immigrants from Germany, Italy, Greece, Portugal and Hungary.
In 1964 Toronto City council approved plans for the Alexandra Park Housing Cooperative. This led to the expropriation of sixteen acres of private property and the subsequent demolition of many Alexandra Park houses. Today the Alexandra Park Housing Cooperative forms a vital part of this inner city neighbourhood.
Jul 22, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSunday Artisan Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Jul 23, 2018 · ArtsPlay the Parks at 777 Bay Street
Jul 28, 2018 · CommunityCommunity Environment Days - Schedule
Jul 28, 2018 · Farmers MarketsSaturday Farmers Market at Evergreen Brick Works
Aug 12, 2018 · CommunityThe Leslieville Flea is back outdoors for summer at Ashbridge Estate in the heart of Leslieville!